By: Andrea Rizkallah, Editorial Intern
By March, New Year’s resolution motivation may be dwindling down, which is why it’s the perfect time to celebrate National Nutrition Month and get back into a healthy lifestyle.
National Nutrition Month is a nutrition education and information campaign sponsored annually by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to promote informed food choices and habitual exercise.
Here are some small changes you can make that will have a big impact on your health:
- Pack on the go healthy snacks such as apple slices
- Eat seafood twice a week
- Visit a physician to get the best advice for you
- Use an app or website to keep track of your progress
If you need an interactive approach to healthy eating, visit www.choosemyplate.gov, and get to know the different food groups and other important information. It takes equal parts healthy eating and exercise to contribute to your overall health. Adults should aim for at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day and kids need at least 60 minutes.
Some people may think the only form of exercise is running, so they shy away from physical activity. But, there are many ways to fit exercise into your life.
- Many gyms now offer fitness classes such as Zumba, kickboxing, water aerobics and Pilates.
- There are at-home videos that incorporate group activities and upbeat music to keep you motivated.
- Even walking around the block for half an hour after dinner makes a big difference to your health.
- Eat carbs before your workout to give you energy
- Eat carbs with protein after a workout for muscle recovery
There are a number of blogs and magazines that have recipes to walk you through eating healthy. EatRight has tips and information categorized by audience; Men, women, kids and seniors can find specialized information on topics like food, health and fitness.
A great way to make buying fruits and vegetables fun is to visit a farmer’s market! And we have one right here! The University of Maryland Medical Center hosts a farmer’s market on Tuesdays from May through November from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Get more information at http://umm.edu/about/green/farmers-market.
So, if you’re looking for some motivation to make a lifestyle change or to keep pursuing your New Year’s resolutions, this is the month to do it!